Home   Sport   Article

Tain Thistle’s title bid gets back on track after Golspie victory

By Staff Reporter

Contribute to support quality local journalism

TAIN Thistle got their title defence back on track when they came from behind to beat North West Sutherland League Division One opponents Golspie Stafford 4–1 at Stafford Park.

Finn As-Chainey on the wing for Tain Thistle against Melvich. Picture: Niall Harkiss
Finn As-Chainey on the wing for Tain Thistle against Melvich. Picture: Niall Harkiss

Thistle were denied by the woodwork on a couple of occasions early on with Darran Goller striking the post and Liam Rostock clipping the crossbar early on.

But it was the home side who took the lead in the 20th minute when Mark Mackenzie scored with a low drive into the far corner of the net.

But Thistle responded in style and Liam Rostock levelled when he chipped the keeper shortly afterwards.

Finn As-Chainey made it 2-1 for Thistle with a tap-in at the far post after a long throw had the Stafford defence in all sorts of trouble.

Then a quick-fire double from Darran Goller just before the break put Thistle in a very commanding position.

There was no more goals in the second half with the only talking point being the dismissals of Thistle keeper Steve Martin and Stafford’s Luke MacBeath following an off-the-ball altercation.

Thistle manager Tony Farquhar said: “It was a much- needed win. We were poor last week against Brora at home, but after going behind we responded well and didn’t panic.

“We’re delighted with the three points it gets us back into contention.”

Invergordon Social Club kept up their impressive start to their Division Two campaign by recording a 7-0 victory against Inver at the Recreation Grounds.

Inver were up against it after just 20 minutes when they had goalkeeper Kyle Eaglesfield sent off for handling outside his area.

The hosts would go on to take full advantage of their extra man, as goals from Fraser MacLeod and Drew Sutherland before half time put Social Club in the driving seat.

Those strikes opened the floodgates, as the goals came thick and fast in the second period.

A Cammy Bell double, either side of a Mathew Campbell goal, put Social Cub out of sight.

Further goals from Kyle MacLeod and Bruce Urquhart rounded off the scoring.

This website is powered by the generosity of readers like you.
Please donate what you can afford to help us keep our communities informed.


In these testing times, your support is more important than ever. Thank you.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More