Home   Sport   Article

Tain Thistle on verge of retaining North West Sutherland League title

By Staff Reporter

Contribute to support quality local journalism

TAIN Thistle are within touching distance of retaining the North West Sutherland League title thanks to a 2-1 victory against nearest rivals Golspie Stafford at the Links.

Finn As-Chainey on the wing for Tain Thistle against Melvich. Picture: Niall Harkiss
Finn As-Chainey on the wing for Tain Thistle against Melvich. Picture: Niall Harkiss

Thistle now need just two points from their final two fixtures to be sure of being crowned Division One champions.

But they were forced to come from behind against Golspie Stafford to take the points in a hard fought tussle.

After a goal-less first half which neither side dominated, Stafford took the lead on the hour mark via a Cameron Sutherland header.

But Thistle responded well and they were back on level terms four minutes later. Liam Rostock slotted home after being put through on goal by Cammy MacKintosh.

Thistle got their noses in front in the 79th minute when Paul Cowie got on the end of a Rostock corner to force the ball over the goal-line.

Stafford pressed for an equaliser but Thistle managed to hold on for a massive three points.

Thistle manager, Tony Farquhar said: “It was a pivotal game which we just had to win.

“We took nothing for granted against a good young Stafford team, who kept fighting all the way.

“But I think our experience helped us to edge it – I’m delighted with the win.”

Thistle are back in action on Saturday, August 3 against Helmsdale United at the Links in their penultimate league fixture.

A win in that match would see them clinch their second successive title.

In the other Division One match on the fixture list, Helmsdale United and Brora Wanderers drew 4-4 in a thriller at Couper Park.

United won the annual George Cormack Memorial Cup, which is played between the two teams every year, on penalties.

The scheduled Division Two fixture between Inver and Invergordon Social Club was postponed due to a bereavement.

Korbyn Cameron hit a hat trick as league leaders Lairg Rovers defeated Kinlochbervie 6-0 to maintain their 100 per cent record.

Tongue United finally broke their points duck to beat Embo 5-1.

This website is powered by the generosity of readers like you.
Please donate what you can afford to help us keep our communities informed.


In these testing times, your support is more important than ever. Thank you.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More