Home   News   Article

Speeding motorist who killed an Inverness driver in a crash in Ross-shire, near Garve, is warned he faces a substantial prison sentence after pleading guilty at the High Court in Edinburgh to causing death by dangerous driving

By Court Reporter

Register for free to read more of the latest local news. It's easy and will only take a moment.

Click here to sign up to our free newsletters!
The High Court in Edinburgh.
The High Court in Edinburgh.

A MOTORIST has admitted causing the death of a teenager by dangerous driving in connection with an incident near Garve in February 2018.

Mikey Durdle (23) was driving on the A835 road on February 25, 2018 after setting off with others from Dingwall when his white Audi S3 collided with a red Seat Leon being driven by Kyle Robertson.

Mr Robertson (20) from Inverness died from a head injury following the crash near Garve.

His car crossed a railway line and hit a tree after the two cars collided on the road.

Durdle, of Lynburn, Teandalloch, Beauly, admitted causing the death of Mr Robertson by driving dangerously and at excessive speed.

The High Court in Edinburgh heard he moved onto the opposing carriageway and attempted to overtake two vehicles, including the car being driven by Mr Robertson which his Audi collided with.

Advocate depute Alex Prentice QC said a group, including Durdle and Mr Robertson, had organised through social media to meet up at Tesco in Dingwall to drive west to a viewpoint in the area of Achnasheen and Kinlochewe.

An eyewitness who saw both cars in her rear view mirror reported they were on the wrong side of the carriageway.

Investigations afterwards estimated Durdle's car may have been travelling in excess of 84mph immediately prior to hitting Mr Robertson's vehicle.

A judge acknowledged that Durdle had never been to prison before but told him he had pled guilty "to an extremely serious criminal charge" involving the death of a young man.

Judge Lord Arthurson agreed to continue bail on Durdle prior to sentencing for the purpose of obtaining background reports but warned him he is likely to receive a substantial custodial sentence.

The case was continued to the High Court in Aberdeen in March.

For more see this week's North Star and Ross-shire Journal.

View our fact sheet on court reporting here

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More