Home   News   Article

Ross County footballer fined £1000 for assault while drunk in Inverness; six Police Scotland officers were needed to arrest him

By Court Reporter

Register for free to read more of the latest local news. It's easy and will only take a moment.

Click here to sign up to our free newsletters!

SIX police officers were needed to arrest a drunk Scottish Premier League footballer when he turned violent after being thrown out of an Inverness nightspot.

Ross County star Iain Vigurs (31) had punched a member of Johnny Foxes staff before then attempting to head-butt a female police officer as he was being handcuffed in the early hours of February 3 this year.

Inverness Sheriff Court was told that half a dozen officers had to be deployed to the bar with Vigurs being shackled as he resisted arrest.

Vigurs didn't appear before Sheriff David Sutherland and instead pleaded guilty by letter to three charges.

He was fined a total of £1000 and ordered to pay it at £100 a week.

The midfielder admitted assaulting door steward Dave Young by punching him on the head; resisting and obstructing PC James Iredale and PC Karen Macdonald in the execution of their duty, by tensing his arms and struggling with them.

He also pleaded guilty to assaulting PC Macdonald by attempting to butt her on the head.

Fiscal depute Roderick Urquhart told the court that it was about 12.30am when Vigurs was refused service because he had too much to drink and was to be ejected from the premises.

"He became argumentative and aggressive towards a member of bar staff and when another came to assist, he punched him on the face. Police were called and arrived within five minutes and Vigurs by that time was being restrained to the ground by bar staff.

"He was arrested but kept tensing his body and behaving aggressively. It took six constables to ensure he was properly arrested and he attempted to head-butt one constable while handcuffed to the ground and attempting to get up.

"Shackles had to be applied. He was kept in custody until he sobered up." Mr Urquhart went on.

As Vigurs had pled by letter, nothing was said in open court in his defence.

View our fact sheet on court reporting here

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More