Home   News   Article

Highland man warned he faces lengthy prison term if he fails to comply

By Ali Morrison

Register for free to read more of the latest local news. It's easy and will only take a moment.

Click here to sign up to our free newsletters!
Sheriff Sara Matheson heard the case at Inverness Sheriff Court.
Sheriff Sara Matheson heard the case at Inverness Sheriff Court.

A former Strathpeffer man who is progressing well with a drug treatment and testing order (DTTO) avoided jail for a variety of offences including choking a woman unconscious.

Inverness Sheriff Court heard from defence solicitor Myhrin Hill: "Substance misuse is prevalent in his offending but he is making progress with that."

More court news

Sign up to our free newsletters

She told Sheriff Sara Matheson that her client was doing well on his DTTO and his supervising officer was pleased with him. She added that he was also hoping to secure a new tenancy in Dingwall.

Ordering 26-year-old Kieran Sehar to complete 270 hours of unpaid work and to take part in a programme for male domestic abusers, the sheriff also placed him under two years of social work supervision.

"You are fortunate that you are making progress on the DTTO and I don't want to disrupt that,” the sheriff said.

"But if you don't co-operate with the community payback order you can take it from me, it will be replaced by a lengthy prison sentence."

Sehar had admitted several offences involving the woman, with whom he had an on-off relationship for two years.

The court heard that on April 13, 2022 at their home in Craigton Avenue, Inverness he assaulted her by repeatedly punching the woman on the head and body.

He also placed her in a choke hold restricting her breathing causing her to fall unconscious.

On June 18, 2022 he behaved in a threatening manner by shouting and swearing at police and uttering derogatory remarks. He also resisted arrest.

On September 24, 2022 again in Craigton Avenue, he placed the woman in a state of fear and alarm, picked up a plant pot and threw it at a window.

On February 13, 2023 he pushed the woman to the ground where he punched and kicked her.

After being arrested, Sehar was taken to Burnett Road Police Station where he threatened police officers, saying "I will break your jaw. I will murder you," fiscal depute Pauline Gair told the court.

Following these offences, all of which he admitted, Sehar broke bail twice by contacting the woman.

View our fact sheet on court reporting here

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More