Famous Capaldi's ice cream comes full circle and returns to its north Highland roots
Get the Ross-shire Journal sent to your inbox every week and swipe through an exact replica of the day's newspaper
They say history repeats itself, but in 1959 when ice cream maker Victor Capaldi turned the key in the door for the last time at his Brora Cafe in Fountain Square, he had plans.
He was moving lock stock and barrel over to his new Rosslyn Street premises, about a 100 yards south on the other side of the road.
These premises had living accommodation for his family, a shop and enough room to manufacture his Capaldi's ice cream.
A lot of water has flowed under the Brora bridge since then, but Victor could never have imagined that 62 years later, his ice cream would once again be for sale from these premises located in what was once part of the Grand Hotel.
The shop has been used by a multitude of retail operators over the decades, latterly being the local outlet for Graham Beggs electrical goods. In recent years it has lain vacant.
When she was looking to expand, it appeared on the radar of Lorna Campbell, local entrepreneur and the owner of Capaldi’s ice cream since 2017.
It was the obvious choice for Capaldi's Brora Ltd to re-establish their own outlet in Brora to run alongside the popular Capaldi’s “Wee Pink Shop” located on Golspie’s Main Street.
With a makeover inside and out, and painted in what is now Capaldi's signature eye-catching pink outside, very few people will miss it when they visit Brora.
Operating extended opening hours, the shop opened last weekend to queues around the block. It offers the full range of flavours along with some “specials” such as Highland Midge.
Lorna said: "We've been extremely busy since opening and delighted with all the positive comments and support."