Home   Sport   Article

St Duthus move one victory away from clinching place in Football Times Cup final

By Staff Reporter

Register for free to read more of the latest local news. It's easy and will only take a moment.

Click here to sign up to our free newsletters!

St Duthus are one good result away from their second cup final appearance of the season after they defeated Football Times Cup group opponents Lewis and Harris 4-2 at Grant Park.

Saints are riding high at the top of their section and if they can avoid defeat against Inverness Athletic in the Highland capital on Saturday in their final group match they will automatically qualify for the final.

It took two stoppage time goals from Dean Allison and skipper Cammy MacKintosh to seal the win and set up that all-important clash with Athletic.

Ross Tokely was sent off after being shown a second yellow card while playing for St Duthus. Picture: Graeme Webster
Ross Tokely was sent off after being shown a second yellow card while playing for St Duthus. Picture: Graeme Webster

“We were delighted with Saturday’s performance against a very good Lewis and Harris side,” said Saints’ manager Stuart Ross.

“To come from behind and go on to win comfortably was really satisfying. To be top of the group with two wins from two in a very difficult group is very pleasing.

“We look forward to playing Inverness on Saturday with a place in the final up for grabs.”

Saints found themselves a goal down after just six minutes when Luke Mackay cut inside to score with a fine finish.

But the home side hit back within two minutes when Ben Bruce headed home his 13th goal of the season.

Bruce turned provider for Saints second as Liam Rostock put a header past Lewis’ keeper.

Lewis sub Archie MacDonald levelled the scores in the 74th minute with a shot which went in off the underside of the crossbar.

The match looked to be heading for a penalty shoot-out when Allison scored with a fine solo effort to put Saints 3-2 up. MacKintosh made sure of victory when he chipped the keeper shortly afterwards.

Saints finished the match with 10 men after Ross Tokely was sent off after he picked up two late bookings.

In the other south section match, Inverness Athletic came from behind to beat Invergordon 3-1 at the Recreation Grounds.

Arron Christie gave Invergordon the lead, but a second half double from Phil MacDonald, either side of a Taylor Sutherland goal, won it for Athletic.

In the north section, Thurso got a 6-1 win against Bonar Bridge, while Halkirk United beat Bunillidh Thistle 5-1.

Do you want to respond to this article? If so, click here to submit your thoughts and they may be published in print.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More