Home   News   Article

Drunken passenger admits charge of threatening and abusive behaviour at Inverness Sheriff Court after arrest in Stornoway for actions aboard the CalMac Ullapool-Lewis ferry service

By Ali Morrison

Contribute to support quality local journalism

The MV Loch Seaforth, CalMac's Ullapool-Stornoway ferry.
The MV Loch Seaforth, CalMac's Ullapool-Stornoway ferry.

A 34-year-old father was on a ferry journey to the Western Isles to spend a holiday on Lewis but failed to complete his trip.

Inverness Sheriff Court was told that Kevin Finlayson of Carnarc Crescent, Inverness was arrested after the ship docked and taken into custody.

The court heard that he was drunk when he boarded and began abusing his wife after the vessel sailed on July 9.

Fiscal depute Martina Eastwood told Sheriff Margaret Neilson that Finlayson'sbehaviour was drawn to the attention of a crew member.

"He was told that Finlayson was terrorising his wife by being verbally abusive. He was agitated and clenching his fists.

"He then shouted at a passenger who saw what was going on, threatening to smash his face in."

Finlayson was arrested by police in Stornoway and returned to Inverness for his court appearance from custody on Friday morning.

Defence solicitor John MacColl said his client, who admitted threatening and abusive behaviour, had previous convictions for similar offences.

"The court has a stark choice between jail or a community payback order. But he is on one at the moment and has breached it. A criminal justice social work report will be necessary as a result."

Sentence was deferred until August 6 and Finlayson was released on bail.

Click here to read more court news.

This website is powered by the generosity of readers like you.
Please donate what you can afford to help us keep our communities informed.


In these testing times, your support is more important than ever. Thank you.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More