No visit to the Isle of Skye would be complete without savouring the wealth of history offered by Dunvegan Castle and Gardens.
Built on a rock in an idyllic lochside setting, Dunvegan is the oldest continuously inhabited castle in Scotland and has been the ancestral home of the Chiefs of MacLeod for 800 years.
There is plenty to do for all our visitors, including:
• Historic castle – still home to the Clan MacLeod Chief
o The Great Sword of Dunvegan – one of only three surviving Scottish medieval claymores on display in the North Room
o Portraits of the Dunvegan Clan Chiefs and their wives in the Dining Room, including "The Red Man" by Ramsay
• Seal boat trips – you cannot get closer to the protected common seals anywhere else on Skye
• Fabulous shops with a huge range of Highlands and Islands gifts, jewellery and knitwear
o Beautiful bespoke gifts in the castle shop inspired by the castle collection
o Harris Tweed handbags and accessories
o Beautiful prints and paintings by local artists
• Excellent coffee and homemade soup and snacks at MacLeod Tables Café, using produce from the Walled Garden
• Water Garden with its ornate bridges, islands and rich, colourful planting
• Round Garden featuring a Boxwood Parterre as its centrepiece
• Formerly the castle's vegetable garden, the Walled Garden features:
o Roses, formal planting and herbaceous borders
o Fountain in the lily pond
o Victorian style glasshouse
o Garden Museum with images of the garden before our current head gardener, David McLean, began his work here over 50 years ago
If you would like to extend your stay, why not book one of our holiday cottages? These are beautifully appointed and open all year round.
Over the years, the castle has given a warm Highland welcome to visitors including Sir Walter Scott, Dr Johnson and Queen Elizabeth II and we now look forward to welcoming you.
Opening times 2013: 1st April to 15th Oct, 10am to 5.30pm, last admission 5pm
For further information, see our website: www.dunvegancastle.com
MacLeod Estate (Dunvegan Castle)
Isle of Skye IV55 8WF
T: 01470 521206