FIVE young boys were each fined 5/- in Dingwall Burgh Court for stealing apples from gardens in the town.
Mrs D J Mackay, Heathmount, Tain, has accepted the post of organist and choirmaster of Tain UF Church.
Several Avoch fishing yawls were engaged in the herring fishing in the Inverness and Beauly Firths. Results were very unsatisfactory.
White fish are exceptionally scarce at present in waters off Easter Ross, mainly because the trawlers have spoiled the fishing grounds and many of the men usually employed are employed in the agricultural harvest.
A mixed foursomes competition on Alness Golf Course resulted: 1 Miss Eila Mackenzie and Mr Fraser; 2 Miss E MacCulloch and G Munro; 3 Mrs Maclean and R Walker.
In aid of the schemes of Tain Parish Church a sale of work was held in the Town Hall, and realised £220. Lady Ross of Cromarty, who performed the opening ceremony, was introduced by the Rev G T Thomson.
The ladies of Avoch Congregational Church held a successful reunion at which addresses were delivered by Mrs J Mann, Rev Mr Simpson, Fortrose; and Mr K Grigor, Carse Farm. An excellent musical programme was presented.
Mr J S Maclaren, MA (Hons), Springfield, Alness, has passed 12th in the Open Competition for appointments in the Colonial Civil Service (Eastern Cadetships. He also took 25th place in the Open Competition for appointments in the Indian Civil Service.
Mr William Mackenzie, son of Mr Kenneth Mackenzie, Elm Bank, Conon Bridge, has passed his final examinations in Edinburgh, and has qualified as a chemist and druggist. He is now employed in Lancashire. During the War he served for four years as a machine-gunner.
Mr James Sinclair, elder son of Mr and Mrs G F Sinclair, Marybank, Dingwall, has secured an appointment as engineer on the Consolidated and Allied Tea Estates at Darjeeling. He has just completed five years' apprenticeship at the Copeland Road works of Messrs Mackie and Baxter, Govan.
An interesting function took place in the Town Hall, Invergordon on Friday, when ex-Provost John Macdonald was met by past and present colleagues and a few friends, and presented with a life-size portrait of himself. It is to be hung in the Town Hall with a smaller copy in his home.
This year the Burgh celebrated its 60th anniversary. During that period ex-Provost Macdonald was a member of the Council for 34 years having been first elected in 1889. In 1901 he was appointed Chief Magistrate, a position, which he has held for the long period of 18 years, being elected unanimously for six successive terms.
He retired from the Civic Chair in 1920, but retained his seat on the Council. During the sixty years of its existence there have been six Provosts of Invergordon - Mr Macleod of Cadboll; Mr Munro, Commercial Bank; Mr Joss, Mr Mackenzie (Commercial Bank); ex-Provost Macdonald; and the present Provost, Mr D A M Ross.
Friday, 12th October, 1923
OBITUARIES: At 30 Thornbush Road, Inverness, Hector Fraser Cameron, husband of Jane Pirrie, son of the late Mr and Mrs William Cameron, Ord Lodge, Muir of Ord. Jane Sinclair Ferguson, 30 Fountain Road, Tain, wife of the late Alfred Cook, Master Mariner, Sydney, Australia. At 10 Seaforth Gardens, Dingwall, Alexander Shaw Hay (Boat), youngest son of the late Mr and Mrs Lewis Hay, Achgourish, Aviemore, and late of Hamilton's Auction Marts, Dingwall. At Cloy Cottage, Fortrose, Robert Hogg, husband of Letty (Tot) Owens. At Cornaveen, Conon Bridge, Ann Margaret Davidson, wife of the late Alexander Holm, Stationmaster, Redcastle. At 14 Woodlands Road, Dingwall, Henrietta Ellen Mary Bassett, wife of Robert J Lawson. At 1 Kinnairdie Avenue, Dingwall, Alistair Logan, husband of Adele, father of Margaret. As the result of an accident, Michael Donald Mackenzie, aged18 years, elder son of Mr and Mrs A Mackenzie, 192 Deans South, Livingston, West Lothian, late of the Heights of Dochcarty, Dingwall. At Avoch, Alexander John Mann, husband of Helen Mary, father of Nancy and Margery. At Toronto, Canada, John J Stewart, formerly of Dingwall Riding School and Inverness, aged 60 years. Hector Cameron, husband of the late Jessie Ann Cameron, Knockbain Post Office, Munlochy, father of Mrs Mackenzie, Wester Balblair, Beauly.
There was keen disappointment again for Ross County FC fans, who attended Saturday's third round Scottish Qualifying Cup tie with Nairn County at Dingwall. Once again on the big occasion Ross County failed to rise to it, and as in the North of Scotland Cup final last season they found themselves pitted against a team considered the underdogs, who were putting into practice tactics which had the effect of bottling up the usually very effective Ross attack. Nairn County won by three goals to one. The former Ross County winger Jocky Clark had a most effective game for Nairn and contributed to their goal-sheet in one way or another.
For the first time in the sixty-four year history of the National Mod of An Comunn Gaidhealach in Glasgow, the two most coveted awards were gained by twenty-nine-year-old Mr Norman C Maclean, a teacher at Garthanlock Senior Secondary School, Glasgow. Mr Donald Thomson, Oban, convener of the Mod and Music Committee of An Comunn, said they had seen history in the making. Norman won the Bardic Crown with a poem "Maol Donn" based on the rhythms of the pibroch "MacCrimmon's Sweetheart" and inspired by the playing of the piece by Pipe Major Donald Macleod at a gathering in Elgin. Donald Maclean also won the Mod Gold Medal for singing. The Ladies' Gold Medal was won by Glasgow housewife Mrs Bette MacDonald, in one of the most keenly contested finals that the Mod had experienced.
The Dingwall Gaelic Choir once again made a successful appearance, winning the Margrat Duncan Memorial Trophy for their singing and the John MacNicol Memorial Trophy for their Gaelic. Their achievement reflected great credit on their conductor Mr Ewan Stewart, Invergordon Academy, and their Gaelic tutor. Mr Donald Macleod, headmaster of Contin School. The choir has won the trophy eight times, seven times out of nine was their record with their former conductor, Mr James Curr.
Congratulations were also extended to Miss Shirley Pope, younger daughter of Mr William Pope, Arabella, and the late Mrs Dorothy Pope, on her success at the National Mod. In the Solo Singing competition for her age group, Shirley was placed fourth out of 50 competitors. A former pupil of Logie Easter School, and now in her first year at Invergordon Academy, Shirley, who is not a native speaker, but was introduced to the language by the headmaster of Logie Easter School, Mr Hector Mackenzie, a former northern organiser of An Comunn. Mr Mackenzie and Mr Ewan Stewart, Invergordon Academy, assisted Shirley in her preparations for the Mod.
The founder of Kyle of Lochalsh Boy Scout Troop, Mr John Humphreys, Lhanbryde, was honoured on his retiral as scoutmaster of the Lhanbryde Troop. In recognition of his service to the Movement he was presented with a camera by Captain Iain Tennant, HM Lord Lieutenant of Moray, and president of the Moray County Scout Council. While employed by the railway company at Kyle Mr Humphrey founded the Kyle Troop in 1922 and was scoutmaster for thirty years. From 1951-1956 he was scoutmaster of the Old High Troop in Inverness, and since 1956 has been in charge of the Moraryshire Troop. Mr Humphreys was awarded the Order of Merit for Scouting in 1930, a Bar to the Order in 1943, and the coveted Silver Acorn in 1961.
Miss Christine J Mackay, daughter of Mr and Mrs Magnus Mackay has graduated MA at Edinburgh University, and has now proceeded to Strathclyde University for a Diploma Course in Personnel Management.
At a dance organised by CRU Young Farmers' Club in Resolis, music for a mixed crowd of young and old folk was played by the Blue Notes. In the course of the evening the Harvest Queen was chosen by Mr Andrew Mackintosh, Dores, former Highland area organiser of the Young Farmers' Clubs, and Mrs Mackintosh. Their choice fell upon Mrs Frank Kemp (the former Miss Lorna Allan), who had been Avoch Herring Queen in 1962. Lorna was presented with a tartan sash embroidered by Mrs H Williamson, Coldholme, Killen.
At the first sessional meeting of Dingwall Toastmasters Club in the National Hotel a good turnout of members witnessed the investiture of the president, Mr Ian MacNab with his chain of office by his namesake, himself a past-president and founder-member, Mr Roddie MacNab. Mr Ron Hutchison was toastmaster for the evening and he introduced the three main speakers - Mr John Trotter, who spoke on "Hands"; Mr Tom Marshall, "Organisation"; and Mr J Riddell, on the pleasures of owning a domestic pet. The evaluators were Messrs R MacNab, D Maclean and Tom Fraser. Mr George Gould conducted a session of topics.
Mr L MacGillivray, manager of the Munlochy Branch of the Royal Bank of Scotland, has been appointed manager of the Branch at Largs.
The visit of the new 70ft Lifeboat, the Grace Paterson Ritchie to Fortrose proved a very interesting and successful occasion. Over £31 was raised by collectors and the sale of souvenirs.
Friday, 13th October, 1967
TWO PUPILS from Newhall Primary School, Balblair, visited Aberfeldy to meet Dr David Bellamy in connection with the schools' project "Growing Up with Trees". The children were accompanied by Miss V Halhead and Mrs Gilchrist, local organisers for the National Project. Fiona Cooper, Newhall School's only Primary 7 girl, was one of the two pupils, the other was Sandy Jack. They saw what the schools in Aberfeldy were doing with their tree nurseries. There the children had been planting oak, elm, hazel, rowan and some aspen, trees native to the United Kingdom. Accompanied by Mr Bellamy the Newhall pupils visited four local schools.
The new session of Saltburn WRI began with an Anniversary Dinner in Kincraig House Hotel. By a strange coincidence this was the Institute's 21st Birthday and 21 members were present on 21st September, surely an omen for the coming session. Mrs Brown presided, and two founder-members, Mrs Letty Stewart and Mrs Jess Cooper cut the birthday cake.
Plockton Sports Club's annual Social Evening was held in the Plockton Hotel, where Mr Charles M Macrae presided.
In the course of the evening, Mrs Jean Maclennan presented Mr Iain Johnstone, Plockton Football Club, with the Player of the Year award. Iain has struggled all season to keep the club going, its future in doubt due to a shortage of players, and their availability on a Saturday.
For archaeologists this year's dry summer has produced some amazing sights in the area, and many of interest were revealed around Inverness. The best of aerial photographs are on display in the ground-floor gallery at the Inverness Museum and Art Gallery. Among them is an aerial view of the vitrified fort on Knockfarrel.
School boards and parent power are new ideas to most people, but not to the three representatives from Ross-shire who attended the 22nd conference and annual general meeting of the Scottish Preschool Play Association in St Andrews University. Doris Bryan, Dingwall; Cath Smart, Invergordon; and Isa Bremner, Dingwall, were representing the 1,500 parents in Ross-shire, who are members of the SPPA. For Doris and Cath this was their first international conference and for Isa her eleventh.
All agreed that "An Education for All " was an apt title for the event. One of the main organisers was Marjorie Pasley, a former playleader at the Averon Playgroup, who had moved to St Andrews eight years previously.
An exciting new project by Ross and Cromarty District Council was the launching of a tape of traditional music, "The Best of Ross and Cromarty - Part I". The tape features 18 local musicians and has been compiled by members of the arts team within the leisure services department. The arts development officer, Mr Bryan Beattie, said that there was such a high standard of music being played live in the district that the Council wanted to capture the spirit of this on tape.
The musicians come from all over Ross and Cromarty. Mr Beattie states that as far as he is aware this was the first time any Scottish Local Authority had undertaken a project of this kind. Perhaps the most encouraging aspect of the recording is that eleven of the musicians had yet to reach their 21st birthday.
This was not only remarkable in itself, but also gave great hope for the musical future of the district. Some of the musicians were already gaining reputations at local and national events, among them Kirsten Menzies, Melanie Christie, Debbie Swanson, Susan Menzies, Colin Innes, Duncan MacGillivray, Dagger Gordon, Wolfstone, the Incredible Fling Band and Andy Mitchell.
In the Wade Cup Shinty competition, Dingwall Academy's Under 16 team defeated Lochaber High School 3-1.
The Dingwall scorers were: Malcolm Morrison, Ian Cameron and Alastair Macdonald.
A hole-in-one on the Strathpeffer Spa Golf Club's course has earned Ian Bartlett, Spa Service Station, Strathpeffer, a tregnum of Ballantine Whisky. Ian holed his drive on the 285 yard par four 12th hole in one while taking part in a matchplay competition. This was Ian's fourth hole in one.
Ross-shire Roads Cycling Club office-bearers are: President, Mr Clifford Davison; secretary, Mr Allan Macleod; treasurer, Mr Hamish Macdonald; time trial, and championship secretary, Mr Henry Cassie.
Ross County FC defeated Deveronvale 3-0 in a Highland League fixture at Dingwall. George Stewart (2) and Chris Somerville were the County scorers. Gordon Connelly has been named the September Tennent Player of the Month.
Lochcarron Badminton Club, in association with Ross and Cromarty District Council Leisure Services Department, organised a badminton tournament in the village.
There was an excellent entry, and such was the enthusiasm of the players the competition went on much longer than anticipated. Winners were: Mixed Doubles: Carol Macleod and Kenneth Murray; Men's Doubles: James MacRitchie and Euan Macmillan; Ladies Doubles: Carol Macleod and Gillian Mackenzie.
A goodwill mission by three members of the Highlands and Island Fire Brigade has helped unearth the nether grindstone of a centuries-old tidal saltwater mill on the shore of Munlochy Bay. The massive circular stone, hollow in the centre, and weighing about a ton, lay buried under several feet of earth on the banks of a burn which flows into the bay. Dr Kerr Yule, principal teacher of chemistry at Dingwall Academy, first located the stone about fourteen years ago, when the only clue to its whereabouts was a reference in a book on Scottish country-life.
The book mentioned that once there had been two mills operated by salt water along the shore but they had ceased to work more than 200 years ago.
After much digging and prodding Dr Yule and his colleague, Mr Bill Harmon, found the stone. Unfortunately it was lost to view during subsequent operations to clear the mouth of the burn. Dr Yule did not forget about the stone, which he claims must have played a key role in the economy of the Black Isle, and is planning to rescue it.
Friday, 13th October, 1989